The biggest danger for firefighters battling a fire in a residential area is to let it burn out without being able to extinguish it.
The risk of spreading the fire through the roof is even higher, and the firefighters are usually required to go to ground before they can tackle it.
“We do not want to cause unnecessary loss of life,” Acting Deputy Commissioner for the State Fire Service, Gary Lacey, said.
“It is our responsibility to keep our residents safe, and it’s not our place to tell people to stay inside and let it spread.”
Firefighters are often required to leave their homes when a blaze breaks out in an attempt to extinguishing the fire, and if they have no other options, they may need to use heavy equipment to push it back to the perimeter.
If a firefighter’s primary fire extinguisher breaks down, it is up to them to decide how to proceed, with the use of water, a flammable liquid or other methods of containing the fire.
Firefighting crews also often have to contend with dangerous temperatures and winds, which can cause dangerous levels of carbon monoxide.
What can you do if you see a fire breaking out in your property?
If you witness a fire break out in a property, there are some things you can do.
Firstly, it’s important to stay on top of the situation, particularly if there is a family member or pet that is in the house.
Once the fire is contained, you need to ensure there are no other homes in the area nearby, and ensure that you can get the fire out of your house.
If there is no fire, there is nothing to stop you from taking other actions, including setting a fire alarm, knocking on doors and contacting the police.
When dealing with a fire, you will want to ensure that the fire has not spread to neighbouring properties.
The next best thing is to make sure that you have enough water and a safe place to stay.
This will include making sure that the front of your home has a fire escape and a fire door.
You also need to make certain that your fire extinguishers are working correctly, and there is enough oxygen in your house and the water is safe.
Do you have more information about fire safety?
Contact the ABC’s Rural Safety Unit.