A fire fighter dressed in pyjamas saved a toddler’s life after he was bitten by a rattlesnake.

The child was visiting a park in the Calgary suburb of Portage la Prairie, Alberta, when he got a bite from a snake that was swimming around his head.

Firefighters arrived to see the child on the ground and he was conscious but lifeless.

Firefighters took him to hospital, where he was given oxygen and was taken off life support a short time later.

The boy’s parents are hoping that the man who rescued the child will go on to help other children.

“It was just a great moment,” said father Steve, who is also a firefighter.

“He saved our son’s life.

He saved my son’s and it’s just incredible.”

The fire department is currently looking for the man’s identity.